Ask Your Question

what does it take to open up a gurdwara

asked 2016-12-14 15:37:14 -0600

omgitsamrit gravatar image

I was thinking about bringing a guru granth sahib to my house but i thought i might as well open up a gurdwara.

what does it take to open one up and do you need to contact sgpc committee to let them know you are opening on up or what.

please let me know

Waheguru jee khalsa ! waheguru jee kee fateh!

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete


which country are you in?

strongKaur gravatar imagestrongKaur ( 2016-12-15 02:40:46 -0600 )edit

united kingdom (england)

omgitsamrit gravatar imageomgitsamrit ( 2016-12-15 12:30:14 -0600 )edit

2 answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2016-12-17 08:12:41 -0600

omgitsamrit gravatar image

Does anyone know the answer to this?

edit flag offensive delete link more


You don't need to speak to the SGPC. It depends where you live it is in Southall or near that area I don't think another Gurdwara is needed. But the best thing to do would be to speak to a sikh organisation such as Basics of Sikhi and Sikh 2 Inspire.

gn gravatar imagegn ( 2016-12-17 09:11:33 -0600 )edit

answered 2016-12-19 19:03:21 -0600

strongKaur gravatar image

updated 2016-12-26 16:23:29 -0600

Sorry I'm not sure about the UK. Here in Canada starting a Gurdwara (even in your house) involves: forming a religious society with a committee (president, VP, secretary at minimum) and registering it with the province. You form a constitution, acquire society act and religious corporations act. Then you apply for a charity from the federal gov't.I hope that helps give at least an idea of what the process may look like.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2016-12-14 15:37:14 -0600

Seen: 1,513 times

Last updated: Dec 26 '16